What’s Cooking? Celebrations!
“The more you celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.”
– Oprah Winfrey
Whether it’s a tea party, a bridal shower, a festive holiday dinner, or a gala New Year’s Eve party, Paradise City’s artists and makers have everything you need to adorn your space, your table, even yourself. Set a gorgeous table with dinnerware glazed in brilliant colors. Upgrade your bar with hand-blown glass drink infusers. Tuck your essentials into a handsome new evening bag, perhaps one made of exotic wood! Bring interest and color into your party space with a new piece of fine art or sculpture.
Scatter little gold-glazed or flower-shaped bowls filled with candy and nuts around the room. Look for out-of-the-ordinary candlesticks, whiskey shot glasses, placemats, or espresso cups. Put on cufflinks studded with tiny diamonds, earrings that dangle like confetti, wrap yourself in clouds of hand-painted silk, and dance the night away. What could be more festive than that!
Browse Art & Sculpture, Fashion & Jewelry, Furniture & Home Furnishings. Each image links to an artist’s site. Some links take you directly to their online store while others show work that can be ordered via phone and email. Just like at our shows, you are buying directly from the artist. Take your time, have fun, and see what treasures you can find!
This Week’s Recipe
Arugula and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Spiced Pecans, Red Pears and Cambozola Cheese
This salad is from one of our New Year’s Eve dinner parties. The flavors are sweet, spicy, salty, crunchy, and savory, with a sophisticated edge from the arugula. It’s a festive, seasonal opening or ending to a delicious meal.
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped.
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ tsp ancho chile powder
- 3 cups diced and peeled butternut squash
- 1/3 cup (+ 2 tbsp) good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup very thinly sliced shallots
- 3 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 6 cups arugula
- 1 ripe red bartlett pear, cored and thinly sliced
- Cambozola or Gorgonzola cheese
- Fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 450°. Put pecans, chile powder and butter in a small baking pan and toast in oven until browned. Cool.
- Place squash in one layer on a rimmed sheet pan. Toss with 2 tbsp of olive oil and ¾ tsp of kosher salt. Roast 20 minutes, then turn with a spatula and roast until tender and browned on both sides.
- Place the shallots in a bowl, cover with hot water, and soak for 15 minutes — then drain.
- Combine the vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, and ¼ tsp of kosher salt. Drizzle in the 1/3 cup of olive oil while whisking vigorously.
- Combine the arugula and shallots in a large bowl, sprinkle with kosher salt, and drizzle just enough of the dressing to lightly coat the salad while tossing it. Divide the greens among six shallow bowls or plates. Scatter the pecans, squash and pears over the salad. Dot with small chunks of cheese. Grind a little black pepper over each salad and serve.